Monday, May 4, 2009

Playoff Beards, or The Problem With Hockey Nowadays

I have a theory that the one thing standing between my Vancouver
Canucks and Big Stanley's tupperware is a lack of rock and roll. I
don't mean just the music by itself, but the attitude. I hope I'm
wrong, but there doesn't seem to be much Kick it down, Tear it up, Rip the place apart going on at the Garage.

I wanted the Canucks to beat the blues in the first round as much, if
not more than anyone else in Vancouver, but it was a shame to have to
say goodbye to this years' best playoff beard. Mason started that
thing early, and he looked Tuff! Look at him, he will tear you apart!http://www.ctvolympics.ca/mm/photo/sports/ctvo/97/41/9741_m15.jpg


Think back to some of the other guys that got it done. I prefer
Lanny with his gargantuan cookie duster, but this beard means business!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_TwAbZhMGVEw/RilNbzz-H_I/AAAAAAAABMw/Pk7SkndMmcY/s400/lanny-mcdonald.jpg
Old Neidernuts is looking a bit like Gandalf here, and you wonder why he doesn't touch that thing up, but you have to respect that steely stare.

Beared players have hoisted the Stanley Cup for three decades!

Then if you look at the Canucks playoff beards, there's not a lot going on really. This pair of Wally doughnuts hardly counts.
http://media.canada.com/1ceaa7d7-3889-4f4c-9003-991895e62419/sedins.jpg
and I think Kyle's trying... he's getting his face all banged up and spitting out teeth, but I don't think there's much more than stubble poppin out.

Both Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin scored hat-tricks in their face to face showdown game two tonite. Neither of them seem able to muster up more than the scruffy alleycat look though.
I think one thing we can all agree on is that Patrick Kane is still a few years away from anything more than the odd bit of acne on that babyface.
Patrick Kane was taken first overall by the Chicago Blackhawks.
He's getting a ton of publicity though. That new Mcdonald's commercial where he asks his dad if he ever wishes he'd been born a boy is a real killer!